Ah, September. The beginning of fall, start of football season and… chicken!
September is National Chicken Month. We wish there were a National Poultry Farmer Month, but we’ll still take this as an opportunity to celebrate the amazing work poultry growers do in the U.S.A. and across the globe.
Check out this video to see Allen break down some incredible statistics on the recent impact and success of poultry farming.
Here are a few numbers that we want to highlight:
- 95% of broiler chickens are produced on family farms (National Chicken Council, 2018)
- Nationwide in 2020, over 9 billion individual broilers were grown, collectively weighing over 59 billion pounds! These broilers were worth almost $22 billion. (USDA, 2020)
- Per capita egg consumption in the US increased almost 13% from 2010-2020. In 2020, the estimated egg consumption per capita was 286 eggs. (US Poultry and Egg Association, 2021)
- Broilers, eggs, turkeys and chicken sales had a combined production value of $35.5 billion in 2020. 61% of that value was from broilers. (US Poultry and Egg Association, 2021)
- For the first time, chicken surpassed pork for the most consumed protein worldwide. (FAO, 2021)
- 2020 saw the highest number of broiler chicken exports in over 10 years. 7.37 billion pounds of broilers were exported! (US Poultry and Egg Association, 2021)
Now that’s im-peck-able. Poultry farmers, we thank you from the bottom of our hearts for the hard work you do to feed our nation and the world! We are here to support you while you feed millions.If you have any questions or a suggestion for a future video topic, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-608-3755.
About the Author
This blog was written by Mike Usry, the President of Southland Organics. Mike is an entrepreneur and soil enthusiast with a passion for educating on agriscience-based topics to help business owners and homeowners alike grow plants, turf, poultry and more. Mike received his Bachelor of Science in Education from the University of Georgia and his MBA from the University of South Florida. The combination of his education and experience has given him a deep understanding of both business and the science behind our products. Mike founded Southland Organics in 2009. Learn more about Mike here.
This blog was edited by Allen Reynolds, Southland Organics’ Poultry Sales Manager. Allen spent years working on poultry farms, from installing equipment to dumping chicks. He has been helping poultry farmers overcome obstacles since 2014, focusing on poultry farm strength in the antibiotic-free environment since 2017. He has traveled thousands of miles and worked closely with hundreds of farmers during his time with Southland Organics. Allen is known by even more farmers from the YouTube channel Poultry Biosecurity, where he regularly appears in videos that educate farmers on topics like bird health and farm business. Learn more about Allen here.